Saturday 26 October 2013

HOW TO: Shop in the men's section

       I have a secret. A big, huge secret that nobody knows. You know, the kind of secret you try to keep silent for as long as you can. And today, for the first time ever, my friends discovered it. 
       I was helping one of my guy friends along, he needed to find warm clothes for winter and, of course, trusted my fashion sense: I therefore took him into Topman. We start looking at clothes - he tries one on, then the next, then we stumble into the sweaters section...

       And that's when it happened: without thinking, I reached out and grabbed a sweater. My friend turned to me, confused, and asked why I'd taken a large when he was only a medium. Forgetting who I was with, I just shrugged and answered:
"Oh no, you don't understand, this one's for me."

       A few uncomfortable seconds ticked by. I suddenly realized what I'd just said: there was no way of taking it back. 
       My secret was out: I like shopping in the men's section.

       So here's a little how-to for you, my dear reader, if you feel like you would like to go on an adventure to crazy-patterned-shirts-land and the country of comfy-sweaters. Here are my picks from Topman and River Island this month.


"No way", you must be thinking, "that can't be a men's shirt!" And yet, it is. Yes, ladies, I found this little guy in River Island, silently calling me from one of the men aisles: "pleaaaaseeeee come and get me?" 
I just couldn't say no.

One thing you need to remember when shopping men's collections is that you may think you're tall, but compared to them, you're not. I'm 1m76 - pretty tall for a girl - but I still shop Small in the men's section, because men can be so damn big!


You've got it - it's a big, comfy sweater for the upcoming winter months (have you heard it's going to be one of the coldest winters ever? It makes me want to throw a tantrum.)! It's another item from River Island. I know I just advised you to pick Small in the men's section, but I would say that large sweaters are always more comfy, and they give a different style, more laidback, which means that you can wear them with a collar underneath and still look laidback. So I got mine in Large - you pick what you prefer!


This is the last item I got from River Island: it's just a plain tee with leather patches on the shoulders, but I've never been able to find one in the women's section - so here you go!


I got into Topman and the first thing I saw was a huge "SALES" sign. So of course I went for it and found this huge comfy sweater (again). Sweaters are really my main fashion choice for winter, as they're warm and come in all shapes and sizes - you can definitely always find the one that suits you!


There's more to this shirt than meets the eye. On the picture, you can't really see the tiny multicolored dots splattered all over it, but that's the main reason why I bought it. I find that men's clothes often have tiny, discreet finishing touches that add a bit of fun to my outfits.

So there you are: men's clothes can definitely be worth checking out. I especially like the fact that the shapes of the shirts are only slightly different from women's, but just enough that it creates a slightly off-beat look perfect for when you're wearing very feminine make up or for making an every day look slightly less common.

Kisses to you, my shiny unicorns,
EG

1 comment:

  1. That's it. Next time, we're going shopping together. I need one of those huge sweaters for lounging x

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete